Professor (ME, MSE, BME) Director, Photonics Center
Professor (ME, MSE, BME)
Director, Photonics Center
- Primary Appointment Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Education Ph.D., North Carolina State University
- Additional Affiliations Department of Biomedical Engineering
Division of Materials Science & Engineering
- Areas of Interest Deformable Mirrors * Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) * Adaptive Optics
* Biphotonic Microscopy * Astronomical Telescope Instrumentation * Laser Wavefront Control
- Research Areas Dr. Bifano directs the Boston University Photonics Center (BUPC), a core facility and academic center of excellence comprised of thirty-five faculty members from seven academic departments, eighty graduate students, and ten staff members. He leads BUPC programs for education, scholarly research and development of advanced photonic device prototypes for commercial and military applications. He manages a state-of-the-art facility that includes more than a dozen special-purpose and shared research laboratories and a large business incubator.
Dr. Bifano also serves as a Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and was Chair of the Manufacturing Engineering Department from 1999-2006. His research focuses on modeling, design, production, and use of micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) in optical applications.