External and International Activity Report (EIAR)
Changes as of January 2020
On the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee on Research Security and Conflicts of Commitment, what had been known as the External Activity Report (EAR) expanded in 2020 to become the External and International Activity Report (EIAR). In addition to the standard reporting of external compensated and uncompensated activities, faculty are also expected to disclose any international appointments or employment (paid, unpaid, honorary, volunteer, or advisory board), international support (funding, research resources, or in-kind support), and patents (filed or issued).
Complete your EIAR in My CV
The External and International Activity Report will be completed within the My CV system for the following schools/colleges:
- College of Arts & Sciences
- College of Communication
- College of Engineering
- College of Fine Arts
- College of General Studies
- College of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College
- Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies
- Metropolitan College
- Questrom School of Business
- School of Hospitality Administration
- School of Law
- School of Social Work
- School of Theology
- Wheelock College of Education & Human Development
Boston University Medical Campus faculty should submit their EIARs at www.bumc.bu.edu/eiar.
Help is available
Your local My CV Liaison is available to help answer questions. Please feel free to contact them directly.
High level steps to complete your EIAR
It is recommended that you complete your FAR first, as certain items that you add to your My CV Profile for your FAR can now also be used in your EIAR without retyping them.
1. Log into My CV
2. In your Actions list, you’ll be presented with a message to Start your External and International Activity Report. Click the hyperlink, which will bring you to your EIAR exercise.
3. Follow the steps to enter information regarding the past calendar year’s Leaves (if applicable), External Activities (if applicable), and International Activities (if applicable). Eligible external activity items that have already been entered in your My CV Profile can be included on your EIAR by adding them to appropriate external activity section. Any additional items not on your profile may be entered using the Manual Input section.
4. Submit your EIAR for review.
Reviewers and FAR/EIAR Managers
- If you’ve been identified as a Reviewer, follow the system prompts from your My Actions section in My CV. Reference our Reviewer User Guide?that will walk you through the steps needed to review someone’s FAR and provide comments, where applicable.
- If you’ve been identified as a FAR or EIAR?Manager, reference our My CV FAR Manager guide that will walk you through how to use the ‘dashboard’ to review the status of the exercises and move them along the review path.